How to use a domain or custom IP on your server
In this guide, you will learn how to setup your server with a custom domain.
By default, the IP that players will use to connect to your server will be something like 192.168.1.1:25578. You can use a domain (e.g. vultam.net) or a subdomain (e.g. play.vultam.net) to have a server address easier to remember and custom.
To achieve this, before you start you need a domain. You can buy a domain from popular registrants like GoDaddy, NameCheap, and more.
Also before continuing, you should know if your server has a dedicated IP or not. Dedicated IP's are an add-on that you can purchase with your server for an additional cost. A dedicated IP allows your server to use port 25565, if your server's IP ends in a different port, then you don't have a dedicated IP.
Below you can see examples of a dedicated IP and a normal IP:
Dedicated IP: 192.168.1.1:25565
Normal IP: 192.168.1.1:30124
Add an A record:
- Log in to the provider where you bought your domain, and go to the DNS Manager of your domain. This section may be called "DNS Zone", "Advanced DNS Zone", "Advanced DNS", "DNS", or something similar.
- Look for a button that says "Add" or "Add record," and add an "A" type record.
- Set the "Name" / "Subdomain" field to the subdomain you want to use. For example:
mcif you want your IP to be
@if you want your IP to be
- Set the "Content" / "IP Address" with the IP of your server without the port.
If your server has a dedicated IP, you are done here. You can now connect to your server using the domain you have configured!
If your server does not have a dedicated IP, continue with the next step.
Add an SRV record:
- Add a new SRV type record just like you did to add the type A record.
- Set the "Target" field to the subdomain that you have previously used but including the domain itself. For example
- Set the "Name"/"Subdomain" field to the subdomain you want to use, for example
@if you don't want to use a subdomain.
- Set the "Protocol" field to
- Set the "Service" field to
- Set the "Priority" field to
- Set the "Weight" field to
- Set the "Port" field to your server port.
And that's it, you can now connect to your server using your domain.
Need help setting up your domain? Open a ticket with our support team and we will help you!